Ok, I know what you are going to say, "Monica, you have a lot to say". The saying goes "Like mother like daughter". I know that once a child starts talking, there is no off button. I get that a child will need to talk about the world around him or her since they have been unable to do so all their previous life. I know about the development of self-esteem, identity and sense of autonomy that coincide with the emersion of language for young children. I expect the debates, the meandering nonstop verbal dialogues and the strong expression of emotions that all occur because they are physically equipped with speech.
With that said, I have been waiting since before Molly was born to hear her first words. Bring it on!! I called home several days ago from a work conference to check in on my sweet baby. I talked to her for a few minutes as I always do when I am away from home for any length of time. I asked her about her day, told her about mine and sang her a song. I was overjoyed, probably and understatement, when I heard my first intentional "ma ma" on the other end of the line in response. Those words could not be any sweeter or more profound. I will forever savor those syllables.
Its been awhile...
-
Hey all! Its been a long time since I have posted. And as you can probably
tell I turned my blog private! I got a lot of spam comments and some that
hurt ...
15 years ago
Ahhh I can't believe it!!!!!
ReplyDelete